Sunday, February 24, 2013

I learn something everyday....from my children.

Here it is Sunday night and I wanted to get a my blog out while it was still fresh and burning in my heart and soul.
     Two days ago, my beautiful daughter and I went to town. She wanted to check out some deals at a shoe store, while I ran into another store to talk to a friend.  Well, she wasn't gone long. (I mean seriously, you put her OR I in a shoe store and you're looking at an hour...minimum)  As she walked up to me, she had a dazed look of hurt, confusion, and maybe a little bit of anger. Apparently while checking out the Birkenstocks a 'mature' gentleman decided that it was OK to call her (Brace yourselves) a "f*ckin lesbian hippie".  Let that soak in for a moment. My 15 year old daughter.....looking at Birkenstocks.....and a man in his 50's decides it is OK to call her a name that he thought would be offensive.

     What would you do if this were you?  What would you do if this was your daughter?  What would you do if you witnessed this?  Better yet.....what did Emma do?

     She smiled and skipped away.  Why?  1. She thought it was a pathetic attempt for a man to show his dominance. 2.  The accusation was neither accurate nor offensive. (being a lesbian and a hippie is nothing to be ashamed of)  3.  She felt sorry for him for being so angry and miserable.  4.  She knew that Love was the answer. Sometimes we do that by not saying anything. (I would have shown him love by picking something up and clubbing him over the head)

     Emma.....I want to tell you how proud I am of you.  I'm proud that you are following Christ's example.  I'm proud that you still continue to love even when people are so horrible sometimes. I'm sorry that you get attacked by 'grown ups' for being a beautiful girl who likes to wear sensible sandals.  I'm sorry that I wasn't there.(Daddy, Pappaw, or Josie would have bailed me out in a heartbeat).

     With this I say: Because my daughter rocks a mohawk and hippie skirts this puts her in a category of being Emma. She is Emma 100%.....all the time.  So now if you want to get technical....it's now not only OK to bash the LGBT community, but it is OK to bash the straight people who support them.  We should all be ashamed. Not just because it is happening, but because we allow it to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment