Monday, May 20, 2013

Thank you for screwing it up for the rest of us.

Sorry everyone. I know that it has been a few months, but let me say....it has been a little nutty. Taxes, babies being born, putting in gardens, birthdays, facebooking,...you know, the important stuff. 
   I don't want to blog about stuff that just seems like I'm complaining, but I have to say, that's the shit that stands out the most.  It really does.  Stop and think about your day. Do you remember your awesome cup of coffee from Starbucks or does the A-Hole who cut you off in traffic stand out more? For me.....The A-Hole.
    What I want to talk about is the way people treat others. Mainly CHRISTIANS treating other people.  Want a story?  OK....I'll give you the quick version:
    Emma and I recently went to a school function. It was just lovely. We had a great time. We smelled good. We looked good. We were having a great time. At the end, I decided to speak with the parents of one of her friends. (Cricket Cricket)  Have you ever felt the stare of someone who thought you weren't worthy?  Have you ever felt the stare of someone who thought you were trash?  They like to mask it with words like "interesting" and "different".  Well, I felt the stare. I felt the unworthiness. Not of MY unworthiness....but theirs.  You are no longer worthy of my friendship in private.  I understand that my 'appearance' might make you uncomfortable. That's a YOU problem.
       When I look at extreme Right Christians, it is no wonder to me why people think Christians are Douchebags.  I am a Christ Follower and YOU tried to make me feel less than.  You failed. You made me realize that I need to reach out even more. Reach out to the people who have felt judged, ridiculed, and just plain unworthy by what you perceive of Christ's expectations.  Tattooed, Pierced, Unclean, Drunk, Gay, Straight.....when you look down on any of these, you have done what God has NOT called you to do.

Matthew 22:36-40

New International Version (NIV)
36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

LOVE.

   In no part of my evening with this couple did I feel love.  Guess what, you're doing it wrong. Period. I will pray for you.


1 comment:

  1. <3 this.
    <3 how you know exactly what to say and in the perfect verbiage to get the point across.

    ReplyDelete