Wednesday, July 2, 2014

I owe Frank Schaeffer a dollar.

OK.  as most of you know, The Ragers go to The WildGoose Festival every year.  It's what we do.  It is OUR family vacation.  We prepare ourselves all year for North Carolina.  You never know what this crazy festival will bring.  I do know that it brings a sense of peace that I can finally COMPLETELY be myself without the fear of judgment.  I don't fear much of anything, but it is really awesome to know that I can be 100% me and not be considered anything but Janie Rager (mother of Maximus, Cameron, and Emma and dynamic second half of Shane).

   So.....camping for 8 days is a lot of camping for me. (even in a cabin)  So I decided that I would do the laundry during opening ceremonies of the Wild Goose.  I chose then because I'm not much for flashy.  It was quiet and the Wash Tub was empty so getting it done quickly wouldn't be a problem.  A lovely friend by the name of Doug had loaned me his copy of Frank Schaeffer's new book and I knew that I could finish it if everyone would just leave me alone.
   As I sat on the long bench in the front, my darling Shane and lovely Emma stood in front of me....talking.  For the life of me, I can't even remember what they were saying.  Partly because I was deep in the Kindle and partly because I could see this couple walking across the railroad tracks in front of me.  She was striking and he....well....he looked like Frank Schaeffer.  I actually lost my breath for a moment.
   As I kept looking at them, like a cat looking out the window at a bird on a feeder, he changed direction.  He sees us.  He waves and walks towards us.  Shane decides to tell him I'm reading his book.  I eventually have to make the confession that I did NOT buy his book. My friend loaned me the book. (now I feel like an asshole)  Graciously....oh so graciously he tells me I owe him a dollar.  Since we are now on the 'owing money kind of relationship' path, I decided it was OK to tell him how the book makes me feel.  I go as far as to tell him how I felt about him and how it has changed.  You see, three years ago, I saw Frank at the first Wild Goose.  I thought he was offensive.  I had no problems talking about how offended I was.  The things he said. Seriously.  The things he said three years ago made me feel uncomfortable.  I'm not supposed to be uncomfortable, Right?  As the years have gone by, I have grown to love the works of Frank Schaeffer.  I have grown to love how he made me feel that day.  He shook me up.  He made me take a look at myself and those around me.  He even thanked me for my honesty.
   So now, I'm reading his book, again. (paperback that Emma purchased at the Goose) and letting it soak in slowly.  He didn't sign it, but he did paint a beautiful rose on her car,so.....I guess that will do. 

 

2 comments:

  1. Frank blogged about this too, but it was really cool to hear the story in persona and see this picture on your phone at Wild Goose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this! I need to catch up on reading some blogs. :)

    ReplyDelete